jay leno Her Burbank garage fire could have killed her — it was very serious — and we learn it was a friend of hers who may have saved her life.
Jay tells TMZ from his hospital bed … he was in his famous garage last Saturday working on his 1907 White Steam Car, fixing a clogged fuel line. He says that there was a fuel leak and that his face and hands were sprayed with gasoline. At about the same time a spark set off an explosion, setting the comedian on fire.
Jai says his sharp minded friend Dave was right there and jumped on it, quickly extinguishing the flames.
TMZ broke the story… the left side of Jay’s face was badly burned, His hands were also burnt. He says that he is now suffering from third degree burns and may need a skin graft. As we mentioned, the burn did not harm his eyes or his ears.
Jay, who was taken by ambulance to a nearby burn center, says he expects to be hospitalized for between 5 and 10 days.
We are told that Jay has canceled his various engagements for 2 weeks.
By the way… in case you haven’t done the math, the car in question is 115 years old.